Business interruption insurance often provides much more than just disruption caused by damage to property owned by you. It can provide cover for disruption due to:
- damage to property used by you at your premises caused by an insured peril e.g. the landlord’s building, a sub-station on your premises owned by an electricity company.
- damage to a customer’s premises caused by an insured peril;
- damage to a supplier’s premises caused by an insured peril;
- prevention or hindrance of access to your premises caused by an insured peril,
- disruption caused by a failure of supply from a public authority caused by an insured peril,
- a murder or suicide at your premises
While cover for disease outbreak is under review due to the outbreak of SARS and Avian flu, many insures still provide cover for closure due to legionnaires disease and other non pandemic illnesses.
Other covers for additional increase in cost of operating and claims professional fees to engage an expert on your side to help manage the loss and prepare your insurance claim are also typically available.